Friday, July 18, 2014

Around The World Blog Hop

I've been asked to participate in the "Around the World" Blog Hop".  I have never done this before so please bear with me.  :-)

I love to travel.  That's a good thing, because I have children who live scattered around the U.S. and, as most of you know, our youngest is in Japan.  I've been many places including Japan, England, France, Canada as well as all over the U.S.  And although I've met lovely people in all the places I've been, I have met some of the nicest people I know right here through this world of blogging.  There are people who have helped me find yarns and threads when I needed certain materials for special projects.  There are people who donate yarn and finished objects to charities I'm involved with.  There are people who pray for my family and myself.  There are even people I've met "with skin on!"  

Three of these "skin on" ladies live in the Portland, OR area and I visit them everytime I visit my daughter and her family. We usually have lunch together and talk and share for hours at a time.  One of these special ladies is Gracie Saylor (grayseasailor-onesaylorslog.blogspot.com) who is one of the most loving and gentle women I have the priviledge to know.  She lives in a wonderful log home with ducks and a pond, along with her daughters and their families just outside of Portland in Gresham, OR which is in the shadow of the beautiful Mt. Hood.  She does beautiful crochet and knitting, writes, draws and loves the Lord with all of her heart.  She has even stayed the night with me as she was traveling through Spokane.  Please go visit her blog.  I know you'll come away encouraged and blessed.

1. What am I working on?

I just finished a "Wonderful Wallaby" sweater for little Miss Piper, (my granddaughter).  After this photo was taken I added a button with a crocheted loop closure at the neck.
A dishcloth.  I usually have one on the needles as they are nice to have handy for when you might need a hostess gift in a hurry.
And here is another sweater for Piper begun just today.  This one will be a white cardigan.  She has outgrown the one I made for her in size 9 month.  She's 22 months and still wearing it, although the sleeves are getting a bit short.  Her Mom calls it the magical sweater that just keeps fitting!  A white cardigan is perfect with her little summer dresses she wears to church. 
I have also been crocheting around donated squares for a charity that I'm a "square joiner" for.  We then donate the completed blankets all over the world.

2. How does my work differ from others in it's genre?

Most of the patterns that I use are common ones or free from Ravelry, but I give most of what I make away to different charities around the world.  One that is close to my heart is making baby hats, burial gowns/buntings and blankets for a local hospital.  I also make items for the Pine Ridge Indian reservation as well as several other groups.  The biggest project I have undertaken was collecting items for the earthquake/tsunami victims in Japan.  Our son Alex and I ended up taking over 3000 handmade items to the shelters and distributing them to people in need.  It was a very humbling experience and made me appreciate the beautiful home God has blessed me with.
3. Why do I write/create what I do?

I don't write. I'm not a good writer although I do enjoy sharing with you all here on my little blog.  I'm so glad you visit and read my ramblings.  I knit & crochet because I love it and I love to give gifts to people.  Most people seems to like homemade items.  My brain also focuses better when my hands are busy.  I had a stroke when I was 37 years old-17 years ago!!  The part of my brain affected was short term memory and it really helps me to concentrate on things if my hands are busy.  I don't understand it but everyone who knows me, knows that I ALWAYS have a project with me.  Even during sermon time at church!

My Grandma taught me to crochet when I was 7 years old.  I love it and I love to give it all away.

(This is a doily I made for Teresa Kasner, uanother "skin on" friend in Portland, for her piano.)


4. How does my writing/creative process work?

Hmmmmm.  I'm not sure how to answer this one. I find a pattern I like and off I go!!

And now I would like to introduce Taci Simmons.  She is one of the three bloggers I meet in Portland.  Taci lives in a suburb of Portland called Happy Valley and Taci is indeed a happy person.  She is originally from Brazil and is a Social Worker for the State of Oregon.  She is married with two teenage children.  Taci and her husband just moved into the dream home they had built with a view of Mt. Hood.  She has a beautiful giving and sweet spirit and I know you'll feel the same way about her.  The blankets, hats and scarves among other things she creates, are just amazing.

Taci has agreed to post an Around The World  Blog Post next Monday, July 28, 2014.  You can find her at (tacistudio.blogspot.com).  Have you visited her blog?  Please do, you won't be sorry.

I hope you all have a lovely Monday and I'll be back to visit soon.

Edited to add: I'm not sure why this post has Friday's date since it is after 10:00 at night on Sunday Pacific Time and already Monday for most of you.  Blogger must be at it again!!!

Blessings,
Betsy

11 comments:

  1. A beautiful post and insight. Some amazing projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading more about you Betsy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. It's always nice to know more about you sweet friend. I always enjoy reading your blog and seeing all the lovely things you make. Your heart truly reflects the love of Jesus in all that you do. It's an honor to know you and call you friend. :) Blessings always to you and yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post, Betsy... I am your Betsy-Friend who is NOT creative, at least with my hands. My sweet Mother tried to get me interested in sewing at a young age... That wasn't for me... I guess my creativity lies more in photography and nature and writing. I am not a writer--but love telling my story to those interested, especially when we travel...

    Didn't realize that you had had a stroke at such a young age... Sounds like working with your hands (and doing such beautiful work) is GOOD for you.

    Have a great day. Hope you all are not effected by those wildfires.
    Hugs,
    Betsy--from Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this, Betsy. It's great to learn more about you. Your work is beautiful and I always enjoy seeing what you've been up to. I hope you have a good week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I think Blogger has been having a fuss. Now I know that the reason I miss some of my friend's posts is that Blogger has not put them on my blogroll! I saw your comment on Jennifer's post and realized you must have posted again even though my blogroll said it was two days ago! Hmmmmm...
    Anyhow, thanks for participating in the ATWBH, Betsy, and I beg to differ with you, about something. I think you often have a delightful way with words as a writer, even if you don't think of yourself as a writer. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely post,your work is amazing.Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Betsy, I loved this post learning more about you and loving every word. You are so kind and loving and that is portrayed in everything you do. And might I add, you are a wonderful writer.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betsy, I love your ramblings! and you do make magical sweaters: Kaydence still wears her pink one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Betsy.. I totally did not see this post on my blog list - Gracie told me it was up while we were swimming on Friday and I just remember to look for it! Good job on the post and I'm also glad I'm a "skin on" friend of yours. And you do write well! See you soon! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete