Monday, September 5, 2016

Labor Day

Hello Everyone.  I hope you all have had a great weekend.  We did, although there was some "laboring" going on around here.  Dennis, Paul and Lori spent most of Saturday removing grass and putting 2x4 frameing along the edges between our trailer, (on the left), and Paul and Lori's, (on the right).
The purpose is to make a parking area for the golf cart and also a nice place for their grill.  This area is usually pretty wet and never gets direct sunlight to dry out, so pea gravel will be put down on Thursday and it will be all done.  It already looks nicer so I know with the gravel it will be good.  These guys are always busy.  Next Saturday they're planning on putting a sprinkler system in for Nita and Larry.
Nita and Chloe were supervising.
I was in charge of moving the golf cart into the spot to see if it fit the way the guys planned.  Sophie was helping me.  :-)
This praying mantis sat on Dennis' finger for the longest time today.
Here are some of the ladies a few minutes ago, sitting in their chairs in the middle of the road.  They do this every year to celebrate the end of summer crowds.  Most people have already left today to get the kids ready for school tomorrow.  Only us "old" people are left up here.  Dare I admit it's nice that it's quiet?  I love having all of the kids around though.  The one thing I don't miss when the crowds are gone are the few people who get drunk and noisy at night.  They make it miserable for everyone else.
Our anniverary was September 1 and we got our wedding pictures out to look at for the first time in several years.  Just look how handsome this guy is.  The styles were a bit different 38 years ago weren't they?  I was also a "BIT" skinnier back then.   Dennis looks the same now as he did then, minus the mustache and sideburns!
Here I am with my Mom.  She's been gone 27 years now.  Gosh, I miss her.  She had the best laugh.  That's what everyone remembers about her and my sister laughs just like her.  My dress is hers.  She wore in in 1944 to marry my Dad as a war bride.  The veil was new though.  The lace on hers had disintegrated.  Isn't she beautiful?  She was a wonderful woman, inside and out.  At her funeral, it was standing room only and the parking lot had people waiting to get in.  I have never heard anyone say a bad thing about her.  She loved people and they knew it.
Piper found a way to take her doll on the swing with her.  Quite ingenious. 
We're planning to stay at the lake until Wednesday, although lots of rain is predicted for tomorrow so I may go back early.  We'll be back Friday morning.  I do enjoy it here in the fall.  The trees changing colors, watching the Candian geese fly south.  It's all fun.  We've had to turn our furnace on the past few evenings already.  Last week the A/C.  This week the furnace.  Welcome to fall!

I hope you all have a wonderful week and I'll be back soon.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Blessings,
Betsy



16 comments:

  1. Your Mom was beautiful and so were you! What an amazing dress.
    My parents always had a trailer at the beach and they felt the same way about the summer folk leaving. She could walk from her house to her trailer but she loved her friends at the park so much that she kept up her trailer until the day she died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my so many things to comment on! Love that you have a trailer on the lake to enjoy and having that pea gravel will be so nice. So special to be able to wear your Mom's wedding dress! I miss my Mom too. We had so many things in common. I had one Praying mantis in my yard when we lived in the previous house. Piper has got it right for her doll! Where there is a will there is a way. How precious! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! No doubt your mom was thrilled that you wore her wedding gown.

    Do you leave your trailer at the lake year round?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we leave the trailer all year and haven't moved it since we bought it 4 years ago! We even hike in from the highway in the winter sometimes to spend some time here in the quiet of the winter snow.
      Blessings,
      Betsy

      Delete
  4. Yikes! Praying mantis' are the freakiest bugs ever. I've seen a couple of videos -- one taking a hummingbird down ... and another fighting with a cat. They freak my youngest son out completely. Glad you are enjoying your time at the lake. Hot as heck her and has been so humid so staying indoors except to water plants on the balconies each afternoon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh the joy you are to share your wedding photos. Lovely bride and groom and your mom as well! Sweet memories. I've been going through my old USAF photos again and googling where we lived in England. Land isn't cheap there oh my! Hope you had a nice anniversary away together, doing something fun! Have a good week. I took a vacation day off today and will only work 3 days this week. The roofer was here and will be putting the shingles on tomorrow if all goes as planned. Happy when it's all done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound so much like your mom Betsy! You honor her memory by all the sweet things you do for others and for your family. Cute pic of Miss Piper:)
    Blessings, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the guys are working hard to make a parking pad for the cart.. good for them. At our camp at Waldo the weekends are rather noisy but the weekdays are quiet, so I can relate. *H*A*P*P*Y* * *A*N*N*I*V*E*R*S*A*R*Y*!*!* to you both! We're having fall weather here too.. I want to start getting some fall decor out and Dayle says it's too early.. lol. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Labor Day weekend held some labor for us, too. Various household members canned pickles and processed apples to make applesauce and today we are letting a couple of crockpots cook some apple butter for us. It has been raining off and on during the first week of September and our garden plants are looking less stressed. I'm glad you had a good anniversary celebration. Piper is very clever caring for her dolls! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had a great weekend! Thanks for the beautiful photos ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a lot of Laboring going on, on Labor Day Weekend in Washington. I know how nice it must be when the crowds leave at the end of Summer. BUT--my good friends (who do a lot of camping) really struggle with loud/drunk/obnoxious people at campgrounds... What has happened to respect for others????

    Have a great week. Love the wedding pictures...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Betsy, Your sweet picture of your wedding and the one with your mother was so special! Where does all the time go. I so appreciate your thoughtful comments!
    Love, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Betsy, I'm glad you had a nice, productive holiday weekend. We did lots of laboring on ours too, yardwork and lots of jobs around the house. I loved seeing your wedding photos! How lovely. I hope you both had a very happy anniversary. I also hope the rain wasn't too much trouble for you at the lake and the rest of your week there was good too. Take care and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun photos! Where is this lake? We had a quiet weekend, the first in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belated anniversary wishes, wishing you many more happy years together. It must be nice to have quieter times at your lovely trailer, we always say that once the holidaymakers have left here. We live by the sea so many people visit during the summer months. Many thanks for your continued prayers, they are a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Anniversary and what a gorgeous gown and handsome couple! Your Mother does look very kind and I think her daughter has taken after her. I hope you had a great anniversary and enjoyed the lake.

    ReplyDelete