Wednesday, November 29, 2017

I'm back again!

Good Morning!  It snowed again last night but it's melting and I'm a happy girl about that!  There were a few things that I forgot to share on my last post so I thought I would pop in for a short visit today.

I made four Christmas dishcloths but have already given one away.  I really like using knitted dishcloths and find others usually do too.  The past couple of years I have had a basketful by the front door during December for anyone who visited to take one.  This year I slacked off and didn't get very many made.  Oh well.  I've been busy with other things. These are the three I have left but I'm giving one away today.


 I started another of Taci's Fibi (Phee-bee) shawls yesterday.  This time I'm using Knit Picks City Tweed DK and oh my goodness!  You can sure tell the difference when you use a quality yarn.  This is a fun and easy pattern to knit and this is my second one.  The first was a test knit for her and I'm sorry I didn't use a better yarn that time.
This yarn is 55% Merino Wool, 25% Alpaca,20% Donegal tweed.  It is wonderful to knit with.
It's not expensive, but it is oh, so cushy and cuddly.
 These are the three colors that I'm using
 Just look at how soft and plump it is!
I got my Knit Picks order last Friday and the City Tweed was included in it.  Here, let me snow you everything I received.  Merry Christmas to me!  (It is my Christmas gift from Dennis.) The first photo is a kit.  It's for the Beachcomber Shawl.  There were eight skeins of this Cot-lin yarn included in the kit.  I think it will be perfect for spring/summer.   I've never bought a kit before, but it was almost half the price of buying everything individually.  There was another color combination you could choose from too.  I think it was blues and beige but I'm not sure.  I loved these colors so much I didn't look at the other one very long. :-)
 Then, of course I bought sock yarn.  Lots of darker colors because the men in my family prefer darker socks over bright reds, yellows and purples.  Go figure!  Ha! Those two in the center are called "Skating Rink" and were on sale for less than $6.00 a skein.  I think it was $5.49.  That is a steal for a good Merino/nylon sock yarn.
 And here is the yarn that I'm using now for the Fibi shawl.
Gosh it was fun to open the box and touch all of this great yarn.  In my humble opinion, you can't beat Knit Picks for price and quality.  I just can't bring myself to pay $28+ for a skein of sock yarn from the yarn store.  It's great for people who can afford it.  I say, "go for it if you can!"  But I buy too much yarn to spend that much money.  Knit Picks is a great option for people like me.  Goodness!  I sound like a commercial don't I?  Oops.  Sorry.

I think that's it.  I'm having lunch with one of the young mom's from church today so I've got to get running. Still have to clean the bathrooms before I go.  Tomorrow is a ladies luncheon at church.  A couple of us provide lunch once a month for the senior ladies.  We have a great time of eating, talking and laughing.  For some of them it's the only time they get out with people besides church on Sunday and doctor appointments.  It's been very well received.  We were going to cancel for the winter months so they wouldn't have to worry about getting out in the snow, but every single lady asked us not to cancel.  So tomorrow is the day for November.  It's usually the third Thursday of the month, but this month it ended up being postponed until tomorrow.

I'm officially finished with Christmas preparations with the exception of buying two gift cards and the actual dinner preparation on that day.  Cards and packages have all been mailed and now I can just enjoy the season.  I love that.  I enjoy going to the mall and people watching in December.

I'm rambling aren't I?  That's what happens when you spend so much time alone!  Ha!  I think that's my signal to say "adios" for today or "jaa nee" which is "see you" in Japanese!

Genki de,  (take care of yourself), and I'll be back soon.  (Don't ask me why I got on a saying goodbye in Japanese kick.  I'm strange like that sometimes.)

"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good: His love endures forever." 1 Chronicles 16:34

Blessings,
Betsy

16 comments:

  1. I keep knit dishcloths by the door for neighbor gifts, too. Everyone seems to love them.

    Yes, Knit Picks is a great place to purchase yarn and needles. I have a set of their interchangeable needles and a LOT of fixed circulars, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea on the dishcloths - I usually have a stash of them for last minute gifts, but I think I ran out the other month. Love all your purchases from Knit Picks. I've bought a lot of yarn from them and been very happy. I like the Japanese at the end - fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about leaving homemade dishcloths for people to take when they visit. I think I want to do that. I enjoy crocheting so these will be fun to do. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was fun to see all of your new yarns, Betsy. What a nice Christmas present. I have only ordered from Knit Picks once, but it was a good experience and I liked my yarn. The only problem was that the pattern I'd bought the yarn to crochet was not very good, so I gave up on it. I still have all the yarn, though, and I hope to make something else with it instead. I hope the snow melts quick for you. Have a good day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dishcloth knitting is just the best. Nothing like a good handknit dishcloth !
    We are delaying cards until after Christmas when the adult kiddos are in and we can do a family photo. I loved your card Betsy. It was our first this season. Prayers abound today. A friends brother passed yesterday from a brain tumor. Another friends mom is finally entering heaven any time now after years of alzheimers. Happy Heaven to her! and finally, my Pie kitty is sick. Not eating or drinking for 2 days. Way off. Thought it might be related to her tooth extractions but now appears it may be a bowel issue. More tests tomorrow if her antibiotics dont help and she still wont eat. ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so sweet and generous to give those dishcloths away, I'm such a slow knitter that it takes me days and days to finish just one.. so a gift of one by me is a major gift.. LOL! That new shawl is delightful.. very pretty. I also love the quality of KnitPicks yarn. You should get some of their unbleached cotton for making cloths.. it's yummy. Enjoy your cozy home during this wonderful month.

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the dishcloths by the door. I may have to begin this tradition
    Hug

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Knit Picks kits. I have a closet full. You've got some fabulous things there. Santa has been good to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great handiwork there Besty, must be wonderful to make such lovely things to share with others the way you do!!
    Thanks always for the encouraging scripture and comments on my blog too. You are a blessing.
    Thanks for sharing your inspiration!
    Shaz in Oz.x

    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your projects. I hope to venture into knitting socks this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute dishcloths. I don't think I have ever owned any that were knitted, always cloth. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Christmas knit dishes are so pretty! Was that I Love This Cotton yarn? Too late for this year because I am putting them with the fold over pot holders and giving some to my daughter but what a neat idea to have some by the front door to give away to guests! I don't know much about all the different yarns so enjoy reading and seeing pictures of all the ones you use and what you use them for. A great Christmas present! It is so nice that you provide lunch for the senior ladies. What is the attendance of your church? It would be a big undertaking to do that at ours as they have so many different services. It is a large church. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice dishcloths! I'd love to do more with ladies at church but that's what happens when I work. We have so.many goodies at Bible study tonite. I'm cozy in a blanket warming up from my chilly car this evening. Just gets warm and I'm home. Bbrr! Just rain. Now I need to wash dishes. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, how beautiful! I love that one yarn that you said is so soft! Everything you create is just lovely, and I know that so much love goes into them. That is such a sweet thing to do to make the dishcloths ahead of time and leave them there in a basket to give away! You have one of the most giving hearts I have ever known!! It just warmed my heart to read about how you all make that meal for the older ladies. It reminds me of how my own dear Mom would have felt, had that been offered to her. She would get SO lonely when my family and I couldn't be there with her. Something like this would have meant the world to her. It is wonderful that you are reaching out to this often-forgotten group who are so important, even though society tries to cast them aside as an unnecessary burden. I think there is a real, much-needed ministry in this, and this just made my day hearing of what you are doing. God bless you for not cancelling during the winter months...they can be the most sad and depressing for an older person who can no longer get out much. Sending love and hugs to you today, sweet friend, and THANK YOU for the beautiful Christmas card and precious note you sent! It absolutely made my whole day, and it is our first card of the season! Zach set it on the stair, beneath where we have our stockings hung, and I see it each time I look that way and think of my dear friend so far away. I am praying for you and love and appreciate you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh The dish cloths are cute, Love the colors. I am crocheting some, I have not picked up knitting needles in awhile now...

    Blessings, Renee

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your ramblings, it is like sitting int he room with you chatting. I am a true believer in using quality yarn to make a project. You have to touch it all the time and you need to be happy with the result after spending hours and hours on it. I love your new yarns. You are a blessing to so many people Betsy.

    ReplyDelete